Monday, September 25, 2006

No longer alone

Being a city boy, I went to live in this tiny Latin American village once, without speaking Spanish. Even though I loved it from the beginning, I was definitely the stranger out there. Everybody speaking this language that I hardly understood, nobody understanding the language that I spoke. On top of that, unfamiliar social rules on how to behave and spending all of my time around people whose lives had been very different than mine up until then. A different society really. Yes, they laughed at me - and it really was funny!

Then, after a couple of weeks, I met this guy from New York. He'd sort of been going through the same thing. Finally, communication! Somebody that spoke the same language. Somebody who only needed half a sentence to understand where I was coming from. Someone to share all these new impressions and experiences and feelings with. No way we could have not spent the rest of that day together.

I have felt the same excitement coming across some of the gay mormon blogs that are out there. It's great to discover people who speak the same language. Great to read about thoughts and feelings I really relate to. Maybe the questions and opinions will help me figure out what to do with this SSA. They say there's strength in numbers, but right now I also feel great comfort in numbers. Simply knowing there's other people who face the same thing has made it easier for me already.

2 Comments:

Blogger AttemptingthePath said...

Hey, we're glad youre here. if you need anything let me know attemptingthepath(at)gmail(dot)com

9/25/2006 8:23 PM  
Blogger epadavito said...

its amazing when connections happen and at once you're inside somebody else...and everything is ok..

10/01/2006 5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home