Saturday, September 30, 2006

What I wanted to write last night but didn't because I decided it was too late:

Christ overcame sin and death. I can't really remember having serious doubts about life after death or the resurrection. Christ paying the price for all sin (including mine) has been a lot harder to understand. Sometimes I think I have been 'given' same sex attraction to make sure that I would come to apply and understand this part of the atonement. I would not seek for it without having to deal with things that seem bigger than me.

Yesterday I also thought it would be nice if they'd speak about SSA in general conference. I only had to wait for the first talk... From the talk it became even clearer to me that dealing with the experience involves the atonement. I should really strive to get to know Jesus as my Savior. People speak of applying the atonement, I will have to seek for a better understanding of how this is done. I don't know if it would lead to a complete change of my attractions. The talk was not specific about that either (question number 1 remains unanswered...). Elder Oaks, before specifically speaking about same gender attraction, said something like 'Sometimes Christ heals us by giving us strength to bear the burden instead of removing the burden'.

Anyway, even though I still have a lot of questions, I thought it was nice to hear the topic being addressed in general conference, and not just in one sentence as an example of sinful behavior :)

3 Comments:

Blogger AttemptingthePath said...

i LOVED that elder oaks quote 'Sometimes Christ heals us by giving us strength to bear the burden instead of removing the burden'. I was at work when I heard that, in the back and I was SOOO grateful he said that :-D

9/30/2006 11:04 PM  
Blogger elbow said...

You're absolutely right. I'm glad you brought that up. I agree with you in that ssa is a tool that God has given us to know how to apply the atonement with more clarity.

I'm still learning, but at least I see being gay something that will one day be productive for me. That may be idealistic, and there are days when I feel otherwise, but it's good to see things postiviely once and awhile.

Thanks for sharing.

10/02/2006 7:20 AM  
Blogger Unusual Dude said...

Just stumbled across this blog - good to have you here! Hopefully we can all figure out some of the answers you've posed on your blog, together. I've been helped in my thinking a great deal by reading others ideas. And I really liked your post about living in the latino town and comparing it to discovering others. I wrote a post describing a similar theme on my blog. It's good to have you in the group!

10/03/2006 2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home