Wednesday, May 16, 2007

This is one I should remember, so I'd better write it down:

Pres. Kimball (quoted in this week's priesthood/relief society lesson): 'As I study the story of the Redeemer and his temptations, I am certain he spent his time fortifying himself against temptation rather than battling with it to conquer it.'

The best way to fortify ourselves against temptation is focusing on doing good. If I spend all my time thinking about how I'm going to give up my bad habits, then that focus just about puts the tempation right there in my face. Christ suffered temptations, but 'gave no heed unto them'. The key is to stop temptation at the very beginning, when it's still small and weak. I almost have to laugh at how easy that sounds :-)

It is a constant battle. But it can be a battle to do good instead of a battle not to do evil.

1 Comments:

Blogger Hidden said...

Ack! I don't want to be a voice of doubt, but I feel it's important to be said... don't hate me, okay?

While fortifying yourself with so much good... immersing yourself (or drowning as skeptics call it) you will go far, yes.

But I would warn against burying the conflict with so much avoidance that it never gets dealt with. I was taking 18 credits, working 3 jobs, running a campus club, as well as online groups, plus trying to maintain a social life.

Once all that ended with the semester and I ushered in 4 glorious months of vacation... the conflict I had been running from for so long and so hard kinda exploded in my face and... well, let's say it nearly took my life and leave it at that.

So while I see good in this plan, I'd also say be careful.

Some genuine thoughts from
~Hidden

5/16/2007 3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home