Friday, November 17, 2006

Sacrifice brings blessings?

The other day I heard somebody quote Saint Augustine: Oh Lord, help me to be pure, but not yet.

It made me smile. I feel like I am trying to 'overcome' SSA and deal with it the right way, and yet somewhere deep inside I don't really want to give it up. Not entirely. Not yet.

Coming unto Christ involves sacrifice. I know that maybe if we look at what lies ahead, it can't even be considered a sacrifice. And yet, being where we are, that's what it feels like. I feel like I am asked to give up the chance to love and be loved in the way love can exist between two people who commit to each other. But maybe there are other places to find the same intensity of love, now or in the future. And maybe I forget that God's love is the source of any other kind of love, and that all I have to do to find his love, is accept it.

I guess finding enough faith to sacrifice is a pretty universal theme, seeing how this Saint Augustine already struggled with it 1600 years ago...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

responding to comments made on his november first blog, utahcog.blogspot suggested that augustine may have shared some of our temptations.

11/20/2006 11:45 PM  
Blogger Distinguishing Preoccupation said...

Wow,

I really relate...

-Cas

12/06/2006 3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home